Monday, August 6, 2012

Dollar Store Craft Challenge - $2.00 Door Hook Racks and Portable Beauty Kit

With three "girly girls" in the house (including myself), we never seem to have enough storage for all of our darned accessories! I wanted to create additional storage for all of our "stuff" that was easy on the eye, but without taking up a lot of space.  Since my current employer had boxes and boxes of large used binders from past projects that were slated to go to the trash, I was happy to take them off their hands.  And then it hit me - rather than using all of the binders for organizing personal stuff at home, why not use some of the binder mechanisms as concealed door hooks on the inside of my girls' bathroom cabinet doors?  Yes!!! 
Materials I used:
2 - 2" used binders to deconstruct for parts (although my 2" binders were free and may be a tad sturdier, Dollar Tree has great 1" vinyl binders that you could substitute for this project for $1.00 each) - FREE

4 - #4 x 1/2" screws from leftover projects (PLEASE NOTE - if you mount the binder mechanisms to cabinet doors like I did, the thickness of your cabinet door will determine the length of the screw you can use without puncturing through the face of the door - PLEASE take this into account.) - FREE

1 - 2" used binder to decorate (you can also purchase a 1" vinyl binder at Dollar Tree for $1.00 as mentioned above).  As an option, you can also personalize it by decorating it with scrapbook paper on hand or with your favorite images copied onto regular copy paper on hand like I did - FREE
2 - zippered pencil pouches from Dollar Tree to store makeup, nail polish or other accessories - $2.00

Directions:

1. While the binders are in the closed position, remove the entire binder mechanisms from 2 binders. Standing the binder upright and giving a good yank or two on each end of the mechanism did it for my husband without bending them; however, when he tried the same approach with a different brand, it wasn't so easy.  So as an alternate way of removing them without brute force, I simply cut around the rivets (the rivets are the 2 round fasteners that bind the mechanism to the binder) with a heavy duty pair of scissors to separate the mechanism from the binder and went on to step two.

Binder Mechanism
Cutting Around Rivets to Remove Mechanism

2. Once the mechanisms are removed (and still closed), flip them over and use pliers to pull the rivets out from each end of the mechanism.  To do this, I simply grabbed the rivets from the underside with the pliers and tugged them back and forth until they popped out.  You now have perfect little openings for your screws.

Binder Rivet - Front and Back Views Before Removal

Binder Rivet After Removal
3. To align your screw holes on your doors or other surface you will be mounting the mechanisms to, run a piece of tape along the undersides of each mechanism and mark the centers of each hole on the tape. Remove the tape and place it level on both doors/other surfaces you plan to mount them to.


Taped Back of Mechanism
4. Pre-drill your holes on each door/surface, and remove the tape.  Then open both binder mechanisms and mount them to each of your doors/surfaces with your screws.  Use 2 screws per mechanism, one on each end in the holes where the rivets were.

Holes Pre-drilled
 
Opened Hook Installed
5. Now start placing all of your goodies on the hooks!  The possibilities are endless - hair accessories, jewelry, makeup bags, scarves, etc.  And if you have HUGE binder mechanisms like I do, you could even do ties, belts, small purses (with larger screws, of course).  I'm also making belt and tie racks for the hubby to go on our closet wall since his hanger belt/tie rack broke a few months ago.  Below are some examples of how you can use them, but the possibilities are endless:

Organized Makeup
Orgainized Hair Stuff
Organized Jewelry

Organized Hair Stuff, Jewelry, and Makeup

6. Finally, the main reason I did this project was to help my teenager corral all of her makeup in a portable way for her to bring along for game time performances.  So I purchased 2 pencil pouches to hang on the door hooks and store all of her makeup and accessories.  When game time comes, she can pull them off the hooks, put it in her binder that we decorated, and go!  What an awesome portable beauty kit!

Portable Makeup Binder Cover

Portable Makeup Binder Open

I have to admit that after installing these door hooks and getting a warm and fuzzy about my work, my good vibes faded quickly into one of those "why in the world didn't you think of this before?" moments... ;)

I hope this tutorial was helpful and gives you some additional storage space that you didn't have before.  And please drop a comment to let me know what you think! 


14 comments:

  1. This is adorable. I like that you made it to go with the portable kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! She loves it too especially since she helped to pick out the images she wanted.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment - sorry I'm late with my reply (I don't check it often!)

      Delete
  3. You have a great eye for Imagination...LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate your compliment!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sorry for the extremely late reply; I just got my account opened again (I only use Google for this site, so I hadn't been checking it). Thank you for the encouragement and the compliment. I hope I can get back into crafting more often.

      Delete
  5. This is genius. You are a genius. Plain and simple. Wish you lived next door and could come over and think up other solutions for my dilemmas. I've been trying to figure out the perfect way to organize my jewelry for a long time and this is it. I like that these open and close, that's perfect! I have a dresser with a middle compartment that has doors on it and I can do some of these inside the doors and then maybe more going up the wall in an otherwise useless space in my closet. Plus the craft room could probably use some of these as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the extremely late reply; I just got my account opened again (I only use Google for this site, so I hadn't been checking it). Thank you for the encouragement and the compliment; I feel inspired to craft more often.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Sorry for the extremely late reply; I just got my account opened again (I only use Google for this site, so I hadn't been checking it). Thank you for the encouragement and the compliment. Hopefully I can get on my site and craft more often.

      Delete
  7. Everything has been summed up by others before me : you are a genius indeed! Now I only have to DO it... but I'm so clumsy when it comes to using tools! I'm the «real woman» of my generation, halas! Wish there would be a handyman as a bonus on hardware and every «IKEA type» paraphernalia! ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! No worries, it was so easy, 15 - 20 minutes at the most. You do not have to have carpentry skills for this one, I promise!

      Delete